For SeaGL 2021 I’m making some tea sandwiches. I know nothing about tea sandwiches, but read a Wikipedia article. If you want to make them along with me, I recommend getting the ingredients ahead of time.
Smoked Not-salmon Sandwiches
I guess you could make these with smoked salmon, though I think it’s cleverer this way.
- marinade (I used soy sauce, sesame oil, and a sheet of nori. If you don’t have a smoke infuser, I recommend also adding liquid smoke, but I like that flavor. I also think it’d be good with horseradish, but that’s a different conversation.)
- Cream cheese (vegan or otherwise) – room temperature
- Dill + other herbs
- THE DAY BEFORE: Boil the carrot(s) for a few minutes, until just barely soft. Pour out the hot water and in some cold water. This will help it to cool down quickly. Also, when something boils (or cooks in general) it continues to cook for a bit after you take it off the heat. This will stop that.
- Slice the carrots thinly
- Put the carrots into a jar with the marinade ingredients. Seal and stick in the fridge.
- THE DAY OF: Take the cream cheese out before hand so it gets soft.
- Take out some carrots and pat dry.
- If you’re using a smoke infuser, smoke infuse the carrots. We’ll see how this goes. I am very skeptical it will work.
- Finely chop herbs and add to the soft cream cheese. Mix it up. Yum.
- Take two slices of bread. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on either side. This will help everything stay together.
- Put a layer of carrots on a piece of bread. Put the other piece on top. Viola!
Apple and Brie Sandwiches
This sounded good to me. Let’s see how it goes.
- Butter (soft, optional)
- Slice the apple thinly
- Slice the brie thinly
- Take a piece of bread and stack on it: brie, apple, brie.
- Top with another slice of bread.
- Optional: Butter the OUTSIDE of the sandwich. Put it in a pan, griddle, or panini press. Grill it a bit. I think the cheese should soften, but the apple will stay pretty crunchy.
- Slice elegantly.