A belated hello! I was traveling at the end of October and missed this. Apologies!
In October, work was quite busy, though a lot of it was behind-the-scenes stuff I cannot yet update you on. It was also very busy with a very exciting trip I took that had absolutely nothing to do with free software. If you’re ever going to Kyoto or Tokyo and looking for some recommendations for coffee, cocktail bars, restaurants, or general things to do, hmu.
Free software activities (personal)
- I have regular meetings with Patrick Masson, the general manager of the OSI. We made most of them in October.
- I did some writing for the OSI. Not all of it is published at this point.
- I worked on crafting drafts of organizational policies for the OSI, including staffing, travel, and a whistle blower policy. I hope to be able to arrange for an HR specialist or employment lawyer to review these.
- The OSI has two new board members! In order to make this happen, I contacted all of the nominees for whom I had contact information. I spoke with them about the OSI, the Board and it’s activities, and how they saw their potential involvement. Basically I interviewed a bunch of ~fancy~ people. It was so much fun talking with every one of them and I learned so much during the process.
- The Debian Community Team had some meetings, wrote some emails, and discussed The Future together and with the greater Debian community.
- I attended All Things Open and spoke about ethics and IoT devices. My slides were puppy themed.
- I did some philosophy based writing. I got a lot out of this and hope you did too.
- I also found out that my brother’s company does some open source work!
- I submitted to the Open Source Festival 2020 CfP. And you can too!
Free software activities (professional)
- I attended All Things Open and had one of the most awesome tabling experiences I have had to date! It was such a great crowd at ATO! They took all of our stickers!
- I had a lot of meetings with some more great people. Thank you everyone who made some time for me!
- We launched a Patent Troll Defense Fund! I cannot thank the donors enough! It’s so inspiring for me to see the community come together to support a project I really believe in.
- We’ve been doing a lot of work on this Rothschild Imaging thing.
- We did some fundraising for Linux Application Summit (which happened this week!).